Stillinthere

Distilling

Latest topics

» BBQ Weekend...
Today on the grill... - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 6:27 am by Icefever

» SOS - Save or Stillini
Today on the grill... - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 18, 2019 8:40 am by Mash

» Anyone for Stilton.
Today on the grill... - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2019 4:34 am by Icefever

» Today on the grill...
Today on the grill... - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 9:18 pm by Mark85

» Cheddar cheese.
Today on the grill... - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 18, 2018 6:45 am by Icefever

» UDS.............
Today on the grill... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 4:54 pm by Icefever

» BBQ Weekend...
Today on the grill... - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2018 3:25 pm by Icefever

» It's Smoking cheese day.........
Today on the grill... - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2018 3:34 am by Icefever

» RE-named section.
Today on the grill... - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 18, 2018 8:10 am by Icefever

May 2019

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Calendar Calendar

Ads

    No ads available.

    Top posting users this week


      Today on the grill...


      Mark85

      Posts : 340
      Join date : 2016-12-21

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Mark85 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:16 pm

      Running a big lump of pastrami today on the Weber with my Fireboard controller maintaining the temp for me. 
      Steady as a rock!


      Today on the grill... - Page 2 34190110
      Phantom
      Phantom

      Posts : 38
      Join date : 2018-06-17

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Phantom on Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:52 am

      Hum? Kamado junior eh ?

      Keep seeing "Big Green Eggs's" coming through the network.

      Delivered some spares for one to a bloke a few months back. He raved about how brilliant it is, even having a pizza stone for one etc.......

      Still being entertained by my "Weber Bullet" clone. Plus despite reading various pages/sites, about how easy it all is, I still suffer from mega-indecision. Too much choice in "style/type" of grill/smoker, too much choice in recipes/methods........

      I'll get me coat!
      Icefever
      Icefever
      Admin

      Posts : 778
      Join date : 2016-12-06
      Age : 71
      Location : Mercia

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Icefever on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:29 pm

      Mark85 wrote:Running a big lump of pastrami today on the Weber with my Fireboard controller maintaining the temp for me. 
      Steady as a rock!
      Today on the grill... - Page 2 34190110

      What's the recipe your using?? I'm thinking of building a controller for the UDS I'm going for.

      Phantom wrote:Hum? Kamado junior eh ?

      Keep seeing "Big Green Eggs's" coming through the network.

      Delivered some spares for one to a bloke a few months back. He raved about how brilliant it is, even having a pizza stone for one etc.......

      Still being entertained by my "Weber Bullet" clone. Plus despite reading various pages/sites, about how easy it all is, I still suffer from mega-indecision. Too much choice in "style/type" of grill/smoker, too much choice in recipes/methods........

      I'll get me coat!


      I suffered the same when it came to buying all the kit we have, started off with a Brinkman, then the offset next came the 57cm Weber.

      Folks say why so many?? and I reply they all cook food but different ways.


      Leatherman
      Leatherman

      Posts : 19
      Join date : 2018-09-04

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Leatherman on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:45 pm

      Yesterday tried ribs. Came out very nice. Was gone before I managed to take pictures Very Happy Today in my BBQ diet is pork shoulder marinated with garlic and BBQ season. Can not tell much yet, still cooking. In the end of the day, very happy with my kamado so far.
      garfield sober
      garfield sober

      Posts : 841
      Join date : 2016-12-23
      Age : 58
      Location : sunny surrey

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by garfield sober on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:21 pm

      Too cold now boys all packed away till next spring,
      Mark85
      Mark85

      Posts : 340
      Join date : 2016-12-21

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Mark85 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:53 pm

      Icefever wrote:
      Mark85 wrote:Running a big lump of pastrami today on the Weber with my Fireboard controller maintaining the temp for me. 
      Steady as a rock!
      Today on the grill... - Page 2 34190110

      What's the recipe your using??  I'm thinking of building a controller for the UDS I'm going for.

      Phantom wrote:Hum? Kamado junior eh ?

      Keep seeing "Big Green Eggs's" coming through the network.

      Delivered some spares for one to a bloke a few months back. He raved about how brilliant it is, even having a pizza stone for one etc.......

      Still being entertained by my "Weber Bullet" clone. Plus despite reading various pages/sites, about how easy it all is, I still suffer from mega-indecision. Too much choice in "style/type" of grill/smoker, too much choice in recipes/methods........

      I'll get me coat!


      I suffered the same when it came to buying all the kit we have, started off with a Brinkman, then the offset next came the 57cm Weber.

      Folks say why so many?? and I reply they all cook food but different ways.


       
      Just a simple one...
      I buy brisket when it’s £6 a kilo and cure it with Prague powder and 30g Maldon salt per kilo.

      Then I rub it with olive oil and sprinkle on a thick crust of crushed black pepper, garlic powder and crushed coriander seed.

      I smoked this one with olive, hickory and a small bit of mesquite till it hit 85c (9-10 hours) and it came out really good!!
      Icefever
      Icefever
      Admin

      Posts : 778
      Join date : 2016-12-06
      Age : 71
      Location : Mercia

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Icefever on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:18 pm

      30g Maldon salt per kilo.

      I do our bacon at 25g per kg....I know you can up it to 30g but you like it at 30g?? look good I can see me doing a pastrami soon....may be the first run on my UDS?? Cool
      Mark85
      Mark85

      Posts : 340
      Join date : 2016-12-21

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Mark85 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:35 pm

      I’d rather it be slightly too salty after the cure than not salty enough.
      I fry up a small piece and can always soak it for 30 mins in fresh water if it’s a bit strong
      Icefever
      Icefever
      Admin

      Posts : 778
      Join date : 2016-12-06
      Age : 71
      Location : Mercia

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Icefever on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:38 pm

      garfield sober wrote:Too cold now boys all packed away till next spring,

      Too cold??? what are you a man or mouse Very Happy we hope to bbq our Chrimbo dinner.
      garfield sober
      garfield sober

      Posts : 841
      Join date : 2016-12-23
      Age : 58
      Location : sunny surrey

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by garfield sober on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:39 am

      Squeak squeak Ice and am flat out with work again.
      Mash
      Mash

      Posts : 1128
      Join date : 2016-12-12
      Age : 99
      Location : World Wide Waitingroom

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Mash on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:22 am

      Icefever wrote:30g Maldon salt per kilo.

      I do our bacon at 25g per kg....I know you can up it to 30g but you like it at 30g?? look good I can see me doing a pastrami soon....may be the first run on my UDS?? Cool

      I don't exceed 2%.

      Does more salt keep it pink? or is that the saltpetre?
      Mark85
      Mark85

      Posts : 340
      Join date : 2016-12-21

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Mark85 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:12 am

      It’s the curing salt that keeps things pink, it also changes the texture a bit and makes them taste nice.
      Salt Petre is potassium nitrate and is the old school curing salt, but for most things sodium nitrite works better. I use Prague powder from amazon which I think is 6% curing salt
      garfield sober
      garfield sober

      Posts : 841
      Join date : 2016-12-23
      Age : 58
      Location : sunny surrey

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by garfield sober on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:51 pm

      looked at this Iceman and I thought of you.
      Cant blame your tools with this one.
      You could become SAS with a tool kit like
      this, all armed up ready for battle.
      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barbecue-Accessories-Grilling-Utensils-Cooking/dp/B074198ZJP/ref=sr_1_49_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1539100000&sr=8-49-spons&keywords=fish+grill+for+bbq&psc=1&smid=A1LKWAMEOTXBX2

      Love the Salt and Pepper at the ready, very S.A.S.
      Mash
      Mash

      Posts : 1128
      Join date : 2016-12-12
      Age : 99
      Location : World Wide Waitingroom

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Mash on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:50 am

      Does the fireboard control the vents then?
      Mark85
      Mark85

      Posts : 340
      Join date : 2016-12-21

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Mark85 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 am

      You close off all the vents except one, to which you attach a fan. The fireboard tracks the internal temperature of the pit and can control how hard the fan blows to keep it at your set point. In the image I posted the green parts at the bottom show how hard the fan is working over time, you can see it’s working quite hard to get the pit up to temperature then drops off and hovers around 10% of its max just to maintain the setpoint.

      Means I can leave something smoking all day or overnight, leave the house, go to the shops and forget about it only occasionally checking in to see what’s happening on the app
      adman
      adman

      Posts : 7
      Join date : 2018-09-23
      Age : 53

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by adman on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:12 pm

      Yesterday I made my first fatty. Not particularly healthy but the kids agreed it's the best thing I've made so far.
      I have to admit, it didn't last long...
      Attachments
      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Attachmentfatty 2.jpg
      You don't have permission to download attachments.
      (28 Kb) Downloaded 7 times
      Mark85
      Mark85

      Posts : 340
      Join date : 2016-12-21

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Mark85 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:49 pm

      What recipe?
      I’m smoking a chicken hot and fast at 200c as I type
      Mark85
      Mark85

      Posts : 340
      Join date : 2016-12-21

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Mark85 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:49 pm

      I haven’t done a fatty yet
      adman
      adman

      Posts : 7
      Join date : 2018-09-23
      Age : 53

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by adman on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:47 pm

      Working from outside in...

      Bacon (weave)
      Sausage meat (Pork)
      Chicken breast (flattened)
      Mature cheddar cheese
      Onion

      Basted in bbq sauce 20 mins from end of smoke.

      I have requests for a cheeseburger fatty next.

      These are really easy to make and you can put anything in them, very good for clearing out the fridge and freezer.

      I am currently just finishing off some beef jerky, if I can stop "testing" it every 5 minutes.
      garfield sober
      garfield sober

      Posts : 841
      Join date : 2016-12-23
      Age : 58
      Location : sunny surrey

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by garfield sober on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:39 pm

      Mark85
      Mark85

      Posts : 340
      Join date : 2016-12-21

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Mark85 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:42 pm

      I’m gonna buy some of those garf and give it a go...
      Iv always meant to try coco shell briquettes but haven’t got around to it.

      I currently use head beads or Weber briquettes which are both good in their own way
      garfield sober
      garfield sober

      Posts : 841
      Join date : 2016-12-23
      Age : 58
      Location : sunny surrey

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by garfield sober on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:50 pm

      Yes good stuff but loads of wonga. Looks like these things are long or slow burners.
      Mash
      Mash

      Posts : 1128
      Join date : 2016-12-12
      Age : 99
      Location : World Wide Waitingroom

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Mash on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:09 am

      I need to pay attention to smoking again. Thanks chaps.

      We love cherry smoked Chicken,  a bit of cold smoked salmon and chillies on a Bradley that I make my own pellets for.

      BUT FATTIES.... Wow now there's a thing to get me back in the game.


      Last edited by Mash on Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
      Icefever
      Icefever
      Admin

      Posts : 778
      Join date : 2016-12-06
      Age : 71
      Location : Mercia

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Icefever on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:22 pm

      adman wrote:Yesterday I made my first fatty. Not particularly healthy but the kids agreed it's the best thing I've made so far.
      I have to admit, it didn't last long...

      Well done, done about 5 of them this year, most folks do like them.
      Icefever
      Icefever
      Admin

      Posts : 778
      Join date : 2016-12-06
      Age : 71
      Location : Mercia

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Icefever on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:23 pm

      Mark85 wrote:I haven’t done a fatty yet

      You have to give it a go...
      Icefever
      Icefever
      Admin

      Posts : 778
      Join date : 2016-12-06
      Age : 71
      Location : Mercia

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Icefever on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:28 pm

      Mark85 wrote:
      Iv always meant to try coco shell briquettes but haven’t got around to it.

      I currently use head beads or Weber briquettes which are both good in their own way

      Coco???? I was given a box to try and do a write up, I didn't like them at all, had to feed the fire to keep the heat up. I'm sending for heat beads after chimbo, buy 4 x 10kg bags with free P&P.

      Sponsored content

      Today on the grill... - Page 2 Empty Re: Today on the grill...

      Post by Sponsored content


        Current date/time is Mon May 27, 2019 11:06 am